The Government of Punjab is organizing ‘Punjab INNOVATION and TECHNOLOGY Summit 2019’ on 05.11.2019 at The Lalit Hotel, Chandigarh to promote research and innovation in the State to boost social and economic growth of the State.
The summit will have 8 sessions on: Innovation and Academia: Boosting Research & its Commercialization, Inaugural: Leveraging Punjab as Land of Opportunities for Innovations, Exploring Global opportunities for collaboration and Convergence, Disruptive Technologies: New Paradigm of Development, Social Innovations and Enterprises, Funding Opportunities, Young Innovators & Start-ups, Technology Transformation of Punjab MSMEs, Valedictory.
There will also be an exhibition of innovations from universities, research institutions, industries and Startups to showcase the strength of Punjab’s innovation ecosystem.
The Summit brings together leaders and thinkers representing Academia and Research, Industries and Businesses, High Technology Ventures, Governments, Funding Agencies to deliberate on the opportunities and challenges of promoting innovations and technologies.
The Summit will promote Mission Innovate Punjab, which aims to build a robust ecosystem for research and innovation in the State by synergising a complex set of relationships among key actors in the system such as Government, Universities and Research Institutions, Industries, Human Capital and Finance. Mission Innovate Punjab will bring the distinct cultures of Academia, Industry and Government together to drive Knowledge Economy of the State. The Mission will strive to enhance competitiveness, boost growth and create jobs.
The Department of Science, Technology & Environment has already signed MoUs with various state universities as well as Industrial Associations to enhance industry academia partnership.
About +30 eminent speakers from renowned national and international institutes including Dr. Vijay Kumar Saraswat, Member, NITI Aayog; Sh. Sunil Kant Munjal, Chairman, Hero Corporate Services Ltd.; Sh. Deepak Bagla, CEO, Invest India; Dr. Girish Sahni, Former Director General, CSIR; Prof. Youngjin Yoo, Department of Design & Innovation, Case Western Reserve University, USA; Ms Ratika Jain, CEO, Global Innovation & Technology Alliance; Mr. Abhay Jere, Chief Innovation Officer, MHRD; Prof. (Dr.) Henry H. Chen, Director, S&T Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Center in India, Embassy of Taiwan; Mr. Karan Bajwa, MD, IBM India Ltd. and Mr. S. Balasubramanian, Managing Director, Accenture will be sharing their thoughts and experiences related to research and innovation.
Brief information about various sessions of the Summit is as under:
Session-1: Innovation and Academia: Boosting Research & its commercialization –
Quality and cutting-edge research is a key booster for technology led innovations, impacting competitive growth and economy of the nations worldwide. The session would reflect on the following key issues:
- How to make our Universities focus on research and innovation and not merely on academic pursuits.
- How some universities/ institutions have undertaken innovation driven research and its application in various sectors including successful commercialization.
- Provide opportunities to the research institutions, universities and technological institutions to showcase/ emphasize on how they have leveraged research capabilities for driving tech based novel solutions, processes and products for social/ economic growth.
- What is the importance of industry for academic institutions?
- Creating Local to Global, Global to Local network of researchers and Innovators.
Session -2 : Inaugural – Leveraging Punjab as Land of Opportunities for Innovations
The inaugural session will showcase Punjab as land of opportunities for Innovations. The session would include
- What is State of Punjab doing to promote research and innovation ecosystem in the State.
- How can State bring synergies between Universities and Research Institutions, Industry and Government
- How can Punjab position itself as an emerging destination for research and innovation?
- Launch of Draft Mission Innovate Punjab
- Launch of Draft State Action Plan for Climate Change
- Launch of Global Innovation Hub, Mohali
The inaugural session will be graced by Hon’ble Chief Minister of Punjab amidst other high profile dignitaries and National & International speakers from Government, Academia, Industry, Innovation and Research Organizations.
Session – 3: Exploring Global opportunities for collaboration and Convergence
The session would focus on opportunities for International collaborations. The session would include the following key focus areas:
- Major global actors and stakeholders would reflect upon innovations being undertaken in their respective regions and how these innovations can be adopted to position the State of Punjab as Global innovation Hub.
- Exploring the possibilities of collaboration with various Governments & organizations across the borders in the field of Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, Agriculture, Healthcare, Environment, Water, Manufacturing etc.
- How to utilize Punjab research capabilities for fulfilling various innovative needs of the state through Global alliances and partnerships
The Panel would include representatives of Foreign Missions, Academia, Research Institutes and other experts.
Session-4 : Disruptive Technologies: New Paradigm of Development
The industry plays a critical role in developing and incubating innovative products and services as well as driving market led economies of the region. The session would focus on following key areas:
(l) Success stories on transformative technologies viz industry4.0, machine learning, artificial intelligence, internet of things which has helped them in transformation.
(ii) How to leverage technology to transform, MSME and AGRI sector of the state as well as advocating technologies in league with Make in Punjab concept, innovative products
(iii) Promotion of knowledge based technology driven entrepreneurs.
The Panel will include Chief Innovation Officers/ Technology Heads from Industry and other Experts
Session – 5 : Funding Opportunities
The financial support is a critical factor for stimulating the innovation eco-system i.e. converting the idea into products/process, prototype up-scaling, validation and market commercialization. The session will cover following issues:
- Availability of funds viz research grants, early stage technology development funds
- Availability of funds w.r.t seed money, venture capital for innovation and startups
- Success stories of startups and innovators, who were able to secure funding to help them grow their ideas.
This session would bring in the experts from funding organizations (public & private), venture capitalist to highlight the funding schemes/programmes available for promoting technology development and commercialization.
Session – 6 : Social Innovations and Enterprises: Transforming Public Delivery System
Social Innovations are desired to transform the quality of life of the citizens. This session will focus on the following:
(l) Emerging innovations & technologies which can build a robust delivery mechanism for governments in the field of Health, Education, Agriculture, Skill, Digital Payments, Securities, etc.
(ii) How to leverage Punjab research strengths to promote citizen centric innovations having social impact.
(iii) Prompting Government Departments to adopt social innovations for improving Public Delivery Systems.
The panel will include successful entrepreneurs, industry leaders and social innovators.
Session -7 : Young Innovators & Start-ups
Start-ups focussed on innovations, cutting edge technologies and impactful solutions are key drivers for economic growth, valuation, job creation and transformation. This session would provide a platform for the following:
- Platform for aspiring start-ups, students, researchers to interact with experts for shaping their innovative business ideas into commercial venture.
- Success stories which led to translation of knowledge and innovation for creating thriving enterprises.
- Essential Ecosystem Enablers for creating enabling environment.
The Session panellist will include Successful Start-ups, Technocrats and Innovation Ecosystem Enablers.
Session – 8 : Making Punjab MSME Competitive
MSME plays a critical role in driving the economy of the region. The session will discuss about the MSME expectations from Institutions to make it Globally competitive, boost economy and create quality jobs. The Session would focus on the following Key Areas:
- What are the technology needs for the growth of the MSME sectors and How Research Institutions/ Universities can support the Industry.
- What are the challenges of the Industry in competing the Global Market.
- Success stories of the Industry Academia linkage in driving the economy.
- How Research Institutions/Universities can address technology gaps of MSMEs
The Panel will include Researchers from Academia, Industrial Association Heads and leading Technology Heads from Industry and other Experts.